Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Thank heavens that good sense has prevailed in Lincoln, RI.

Hurt feelings? Doesn't fit in with the No Child Left Behind act. Granted, I'm not an educator and I've been out of school for some time now, but spelling bees always seemed to be an exciting thing to look forward to after studying all those words in school. I understand that not everyone likes to put themselves out, whether it be on stage or in a classroom, but, well, compromise. I never much cared for basketball or the running the eight times around the track in gym class, but I sucked it up. You can't be good at everything, so you learn to improve or deal with your inadequacies. I didn't spot well and there was always someone stronger/faster/more athletic than me. I can only think of a couple people who could beat me in spelling or declamation, however.

Anyway, These sorts of competitions I think are good, healthy, low-cost ways to foster literacy and self-improvement. I'm glad that there's a resurgence in popularity of the spelling bee, and I'm glad that the school officials in Lincoln, RI have rethought doing away with it.

No comments: