Thursday, March 10, 2005

Damn!

Harold brought me a copy of the latest Harvard Film Archive calendar last night. This morning, over my coffee, I noted that I'd missed an appearance by Im Kwon- taek along with the chance to see again one of my favorite films ever.

Back when Chunhyang was first released, I could find next to no information on Kwon-taek aside from the little blurb on him in a Cannes press release. He's apparently one of the more prolific directors out there (nearly 100 films to date), and ispractically unknown here.

***

This little glimpse of Kwon-taek's recent work seems to be wrapped up in a larger series on South Korean film. I'm really going to have to try to make an effort to get out and see at least some of these.

Also, one of my favorite film scorers (aside from perhaps Georges Auric) is the focus of another grouping in conjunction with the Boston Modern Orchestra Project.
I've talked about the Takemitsu /Shinoda collaboration briefly before.

In addition, lots of other good stuff, from Kurosawa to Busby Berkeley to Todd Solondz. I'm really going to have to try to catch Solondz. We'll see.

No comments: