Friday, March 25, 2005

Random Thoughts on Terry Schiavo:

It's probably a really good idea to get a living will together, as I don't want my body to ever end up in probate.

I don't know that I'd ever be able to trust any other individual (much less the government) with that kind of control over my body if ever I were incapacitated like she is.

How sentient is she really? How much of the expert testimony just smoke-and-mirrors? Is she feeling pain right now? All I can say on this matter is, if a dependent were to be starved or denied water/medical care in the state where I live - that would be considered Abuse or Neglect and the perpetrator could be prosecuted and have custody taken away. I guess, though, that if it's government-mandated, it's okay.

Though death is a release of sorts, how much of it is letting Schiavo "die with dignity" and how much of it is a "release" for her "husband?" What does he stand to gain from this?

Note: I agree with a number of Mark's points here. I am, however, against the death penalty as a matter of principle.

Abortion and Euthanasia are both messy subjects and I could go on for pages on both (couldn't we all). I guess what I have problems in both cases is the taking of innocent lives because they are considered inconveniences or disposable. That bothers me a lot. I also worry about slippery slopes, seeing as I work in an organization that takes care of mentally retarded people. At what point might we consider letting others "die with dignity" due to the level of care and monitoring they require?

I resent deeply the notion wondering on potential and quality of life that this is a religious issue. For some it may be, but for many other's it's not. It's about empathy, about being able to put one's self into other people's shoes.

Mind you, these are all really just impressions. Nothing fully formed, just random jottings. I'm done saying my piece now.

No comments: