Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday is, of course, a sober time of reflection and fasting. I have happy memories of it being a bit celebratory in our household, however. Bad Jews that we were, I think we'd get it mixed up with Channukah and end up having a huge latke feast with all sorts of relatives and friends stopping by to say a quick hi and get a few of my mom's cakes. Since I'm told that I'm getting some sort of managerial dispensation to leave early today, I figured that I'd follow in mom's footsteps, get out the grater and invite over whoever's interested.

Latkes

6 medium potatoes
1 onion
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
Shortening or oil for deep frying

Peel and grate potatoes into a mixing bowl. Squeeze out liquid. Peel and grate onion into potatoes. Add eggs, flour and salt, then mix until you have a smooth, heavy batter. Heat up enough shortening or oil to cover the pancakes. Drop the batter from a spoon into the hot oil (using enough batter to make cakes roughly 3" in diameter). Fry over medium heat until brown on underside, then flip to brown top side. Lift out and drain off excess fat on paper towels. Pancakes should be puffy and crisp.

Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
(serves four to six)

***
Much as I love these deep fried, I think that I'm going to "oven fry" my cakes this year. That is - bake the mixture on a cookie sheet until browned. I really don't need all that oil.

***
Yes: Good Friday trumps Purim this year. The Hamentaschen will have to wait until after Easter.

No comments: