Monday, November 29, 2004

Golly, Another Swell Musical!

Sunday, after everyone left, I cleaned up and got a nap in, Hal treated me to dinner (manicotti and salad - the antithesis of turkey and trimmings) and a movie. I'm sorry, I know that the Gene Kelly musicals are formulaic, but I just love them! Hal got me Take Me Out to the Ballgame this time around. I know that it followed Anchors Aweigh! character, plot and even music wise - but it was so much fun. In this, we saw that Esther Williams is as graceful on land as she is in water (There was, of course, a pool scene added in - an improbability in a 19th century hotel, but still a necessity if you've got Esther in your film.)

It's so refreshing to see a Hollywood War Effort - such cheerful bolstering up of morale, such wonderful, musical escapism. No one there would be caught dead supporting troops nowadays, it seems.

I'm really looking forward to On the Town when we get it. MGM touts this film as "twice as gay" as "Anchors Aweigh." I'd like to see that.

No comments: