Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Somerville has the happy chance to be sandwiched between two great little rivers: the Charles to the south of us and the Mystic which meanders along to the north. Since it's a much shorter walk to the Mystic now, we've been taking a bit of time to both enjoy the nature and revel in the relative quiet around us.

Though rather unimpressive-seeming at first (it is in heavy urban/industrial area and there is a bit of trash strewn about in some places), we've found that it's best to wander around with a camera, or at least a camera-eye. That's when you really start to open up to the beauty of the area, which consists of wetlands, woodlands and almost prairie-like patches. Interestingly enough, the part of the walk that cuts closest to I-93 (with cars whizzing by about 10' from us) is the part where we find the largest variety of flowers, birds and trees.

I don't know that I'd walk the Mystic reservation alone like I have done the with the Charles, but I think that I do enjoy it more right now. It has a wildness about it that appeals to me and I'm always discovering something new on my walks there.

1 comment:

The Best Cat Trees said...

HelloBe, Ive been surfing the web for the newest info on how to clean cat urine and came accross your site. this post is'nt exactly what i was surfing for, but i see why i found it. Anyway, interesting read. I will continue to look for how to clean cat urine etc... I will be back to your site sometime...