Thursday, June 16, 2005

I could do worse than stay local, however.

This week is the biennial Boston Early Music Festival - a largely unrivalled series of concerts, lectures, master classes and exhibits. I always look forward to the opera production - this year's being Mattheson's Boris Goudenow. It's always a treat to see what lost gems they pick up and dust off to perform. The late night concerts are particularly fun.

Tanglewood, the BSO's summer home, is a favorite place to catch an outdoor concert. The best seats in the house are outside the Shed on the lawn: you bring a blanket and a picnic, lie back and let the music wash over you.

The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem is one of my favorite museums. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't visited it, however, since its renovation. This Kingdom of Siam exhibition might be a good excuse to grab the northbound commuter rail some weekend.

Wow. I've not been to Jacob's Pillow since I was a little terror living in Western MA. Wouldn't it be fun to go back and reexperience a bit of my lost youth?

I've never been here before and am killer curious about it.

The New Bedford Whaling Museum is another favorite of mine.

Other fun possiblities: the Rockport Chamber Music Festival, Newport, RI for the music festivals and "cottage" tours, and Lowell, with its wonderful working mills and textile museums. (There's also a folk festival, if you're into that.)

Goodness, it seems as though there's plenty to keep me off the streets this summer - and I haven't even touched on potential hikes.

No comments: