Friday, January 14, 2005

Hey, not everybody gets to be an astronaut.

I remember standing at the counter in the music store, looking out the window at what we'd call the "street drama" with one of my coworkers, a clarinettist named Maria. A couple of working women walked by the store and prompted Maria to mention that, with a little less self-esteem, we could make a whole heck of a lot more money than by doing what we were trained to do.

Eventually, Maria joined the Air Force. Myself, well, I talked my way into a field that pays about a living wage. I still joke with the other accountants and my boss about going into business for ourselves, though, as the cost of living here continues to rise. At least I can pay my (relatively minimal) student loans and keep a roof over my head.

No comments: