Thursday, September 29, 2005

Decided last night to take a walk to Davis for some hot chocolate (don't you love when the weather shifts from ice cream to hot chocolate?). On Broadway near Ball, had the walk obstructed by some fool on a bike who decided that he liked me or something. Though I'll be damned before I let this show, I do get uncomfortable when someone blatantly checks me out. Especially while they're clucking their tongue against teeth, grinning lasciviously and making comments about my figure. Managed to slink by him, as he did move aside a bit (and only because my walking partner was male, I'm sure).

A bit further along, the guy on the bicycle flew between us. We watched him swerve back and forth on the sidewalk, barely missing other pedestrians. Suddenly, he crossed the street (stopping traffic), so he could continue harassing people on the opposite side.

"That guy was checking you out."
"I know. That's why I was trying to speed up and avoid eye contact."
"Bev, I wanted to hit him. He really made me mad."
"Hey, it's okay. It's part of being a girl and I'm used to it. He did make me uncomfortable though, and I was glad that you were there. I think you kept him from trying anything funny. I think he was a stoned asshole."
"Or just poorly socialized."
"Well, yes. I wonder about the stoned though, because even assholes can keep it toned down unless they're hopped up."

Usually this stuff rolls off my back pretty easily, but this guy particularly annoyed me. I am actually glad that Pablo was along with me, as I really wasn't in the mood for escalation of the confrontation. Probably would have ended up with someone hurt from a stick in their front wheel or something. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean that I'm weak or afraid of calling attention to myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're gorgeous; of course men are checking you out. Crimmeny, can't remember the last time a man looked at me.

AEIB