Monday, September 19, 2005

Chloe was a neighbor girl who walked round in a trance. A lot like Sissy Spacek at that homecoming dance. Her father was religious, mother was too. She yearned to be a model. Had issues with food. Last I heard of Chloe someone saw her on TV preaching the power of hypnosis and aromatherapy. Darby was my sister's friend, a fashion paranoid. She wore a winter coat all summer long and made a lot of noise about conservites and demigods and how we all should be scared. We dropped LSD at Disneyland. She left me stranded there. I hitched back to the valley with a Dr. Leopold who sermonized computers have come to steal our souls. Ooh baby ooh baby. I bow down and pray to every woman I see. I bow down and pray to every woman I see. Bela served me coffee. She kept her biscuits warm. I never saw her even once out of her uniform. Kady had an ugly dog she swore would never bite. Followed that girl everywhere. Never left her side. She said, "baby baby baby, crawl out of our shell. I wanna show you something if you promise not to tell." Ooh baby ooh baby. Ooh baby ooh baby. I bow down and pray to every woman I see. Ain't no mother---gonna criticize me. I bow down and pray to every woman I see.

-Chuck Prophet

***

If you get the chance, see this man live. I saw him in Ellsworth, ME in August. The only live concerts I think might have depassed this one for me were Nina Simone and (maybe) Peter Gabriel.

Hal (as always) put it so well: "He's like the Velvet Underground. With them, the audiences would be small, but they'd leave the shows after having seen the light and start bands. This is what's happening with this guy."

No comments: