Monday, June 09, 2008

Of course, there was no way in heck I was going to turn on the stove in my place. Dinner ended up being a salad, some cheeese, bread and a bit of improvised gazpacho (half-jokingly suggested by Pablo who doesn't normally like raw tomatoes).

Gazpacho

3 ripe tomatoes
1 cucumber
1/2 green pepper
1/2 small onion
1 large clove garlic
splash of olive oil
splash of vinegar (I used red wine. Feel free to substitute anything else, save for balsamic, which I think is too strong for this)
3-4 slices of bread (doesn't much matter what kind of bread, though I don't think rye, raisin, corn or pumpernickel would be very good.)
2 c water
A bit of salt to taste

Chop tomatoes and green pepper. Peel, seed and chop cucumber. Mince garlic and onion. Remove crusts from bread and tear into small pieces. Combine in a bowl with oil, vinegar and salt. Add water.

Blend in small quantities, being sure to not completely liquefy the mixture; you want some texture after all.

Chill for a while; (I put it in the freezer for about 1/2 hour.) you want this stuff really cold.

Serves 4.

No comments: