Thursday, April 07, 2005

Our Tax Dollars at Work

Somerville's decided to dig up my street (and the sidewalks and possibly our front flowerbed) and treat us to a new water main. As a result, since Monday I've been waking up to the sound of pneumatic drills and heavy lifting gear in front of my house. Much as I appreciate water with a lower heavy metal content, I'm a little bit worried about the seismic activity and how it'll affect my computer, the structure of the house, etc. The dust is pretty nasty as well. There's also the parking ban in effect until this is all over (it is cool, though, to come home to all these backhoes and bulldozers parallel-parked in front of the houses). Wonder how long this is going to take to finish? Will they do that Cambridge thing, too, where as soon as one utility finishes their work, another will come and dig everything up again and again and again? (eh bien, continuons...) They've been doing that to the street in front of my office for something like three years, now.

No comments: