Thursday, January 05, 2006

I wrote about eating a boiled egg in the third person the other day. This so fascinated a friend that I thought I'd bring back a narrative of getting dressed for work I'd written in the second person singular.

Enjoy!

I'm particularly obsessed with second person singular, as, while but a child in a progressive school in the Berkshires, I got to read a particularly haunting story by no one in particular, apparently. In a subsequent creative writing class, wrote a story in second person. The teacher sent it back with a big, fat F. Said that I'd gotten the assignment all wrong: no one ever wrote in the second person. Was bad form, bad English. She demanded another essay. Told her (in a very polite way, of course) to go "eff" herself and took the F.

4 comments:

Nick said...

Nick thinks thats funny.

Anonymous said...

Person is not tense. You are implying this english teacher was so dense she tensed at your person?

Yogo said...

Obviously this person is tense.

Be said...

Be is happy that Nick finds the story funny. Be also thinks Nappy's line's a good one...