Friday, October 14, 2005

Actually, it's not that I don't care about the bird flu - flu's never anything to sneeze at. I just don't see the point of going out and stockpiling drugs that I most likely will never have any use for. I don't see the point in getting all nerved up about it, either. To be honest, I worry more about, say, TB or Hep B/C than the flu. But that's largely because of work.

I do highly recommend the last edition of Foreign Affairs, as they devoted a number of articles on Bird Flu, the nature of pandemics and the need for a coherent, global plan to cope with such a public health threat. Especially interesting to me were the essays on the human/animal link in diseases and using the spread of AIDS as a model for other pandemics.

I also found this list of FAQs on bird flu from WebMD helpful - essential advice presented concisely and in a (reassuringly?) commonsense tone.

No comments: