Monday, December 06, 2004


Though the first snow of the season was actually a couple weeks ago, today was the first day one could actually sense winter in the air. On my walk in this morning, it felt as though the wind had made the flight south expressly for the purpose of reddening my bare legs and running its fingers up my spine. Tonight, before leaving the office, I noted that we had a dusting of snow on the ground. Not enough to stop traffic or hinder me, but just enough to remind us that the solstice is only a couple weeks away. Then, mercifully, the days will start getting longer. One day next March or April, those cold fingers that clutch at me in the darkness (as I'm walking both ways in the dark now) will soften into warm, damp, soft-smelling breaths that will give me a little push to where I need to go. In the meantime, a little reminder from National Geographic that that stuff we have to shovel or sweep or trudge through is actually quite beautiful. Enjoy.  Posted by Hello

No comments: