Thursday, December 02, 2004

Here we go again.

Geraghty brings up something that I've been saying over and over again before the election: it isn't the Bush administration, it's the opposing side that's angling for a draft. I'd like to add that from what I've read and heard from a number of activist sorts around here (there was an interview with one such pro draft peace activist in the Sunday Globe a few months ago. Sorry about the lack of link - I'm not going to pay for that privilege at this point) - it has very little to do with the well-being of the military population, which, from what I hear, is doing just fine with recruiting volunteers. It has more to do with 'getting young people to see the horrors of war first hand.'

Our volunteers, even though they don't go into the military expecting to be killed, are well aware of the risks, yet still they go. This is part of the reason why we have some of the best fighters on the planet, no doubt. Forcing people into service (and subsequently into harm's way) who don't want to be there to prove a political or ideological point strikes me as extremely reckless and selfish.

-via Instapundit.

No comments: