Saturday, October 09, 2004

This weekend looks like another gift, and am going to try my darndest to not squander it.

Yesterday, late night working - but was on a roll. Managed to miss both the game (Sox won, of course - I can feel myself getting set up for another heartbreak.) and the debate. (No more of those - I get too upset listening. No matter how much content who I've decided is my preferred one has in his argument, the other will always be declared 'winner' - as if you can call someone a debate 'winner' - based sheerly on style points, and, I'm sorry to say, media partisanship.)

Nothing much in the cards for today, aside from a nice walk, maybe. Shelley, after massaging my lower back the other day, declared that I have no more tone in my buttocks. Doesn't surprise me, as I couldn't walk at all for two weeks, and barely until last week. I've a lot of work to do to put the pieces back together again.

Have been trying to keep faithful to the whole South Beach thing with mixed success. Today, was dying for french toast, though. Managed to come up with something beyond merely ersatz. Actually, I might like this better than french toast, come to think of it:

Sweet Omelet - serves one

2 eggs
dash of salt
1 1/2 T granulated sugar (I substituted a packet and a half of sweet and low_
1/2 t vanilla (I substituted 1/2 t rum flavoring)
1T butter (or Pam, I'm sure. I used Smart Balance)
(sprinkle of cinnamon, or nutmeg or both)
2T confectioners' sugar (I substituted another shake of cinnamon, a dash of granulated maple sugar and a dot of smart balance spread. I think that a wee smear of some sort of jelly would be good, too)

Combine the eggs, salt, granulated sugar, and vanilla and beat only long enough to blend. Put a 7-inch nonstick skillet over the heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter and as soon as it foams, tilt the pan so the butter coats the bottom. Pour in the eggs. Shake the pan forward and backward, pulling the eggs with a fork and letting the uncooked part run out to the edges, until the whole thing is creamy. Fold it in half and roll it out onto a warm plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

I adapted this from a recipe in my Fannie Farmer cookbook - it was in the dessert section. Myself, I found it to be a wonderful not too sweet sweet tooth breakfast. Enjoy!

No comments: