Thursday, October 14, 2004

This buycott thing annoyed me.

I got two emails yesterday exhorting me to 'not spend anything on October 19th' as some sort of way of showing the world that, though women have 1/2 the buying power in the economy, they have some miniscule proportion of upper management positions in the corporate world.

Fine and good, but wouldn't more qualified women working their way up the corporate ladder and perhaps applying for said positions be a more positive action than having some sort of 'buycott?' Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm missing the point (after all, I am not only a dumb broad, but a blonde one to boot), but my figuring is that directing yourself towards attaining certain goals, rather than engaging in meaningless but feel-good gestures tends to be more productive.

(I forwarded the email to a friend of mine who noted that one of the alternatives to spending was 'taking in a museum.' What if the museum charges admission?)

1 comment:

johnny_boy said...

"Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm missing the point (after all, I am not only a dumb broad, but a blonde one to boot)"

hi. we're having a good conversation, aren't we? would you like to dance? we're having fun, aren't we?