Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Dry January.

When Stoicism fails, you can always take to Hedonism.  That not really being my thing, I decided to wallow in Sadness.  A good cry is a catharsis; does wonders for exhausting a body, too.  

Now, I'm all cried dry.  I'm sure the sad will return, as it only receeded just a bit.  So, for better or for worse, it's going to be a Dry January.

In honor, thought I'd treat myself to an apero, a pre dinner cocktail every day this month.  Day One was a lovely apple soda from an English Concern.  Am particularly fond of the plain apple one, as well as the rhubarb one.  Funny, as was never a fan of apples or their juice.

Today was a take on a 'mocktail' (honestly, I don't like that term.  Will use it for lack of a better one, though.) that my favorite little bah / bistro first started serving last January:  the GBGB.  So tart, so green; perfect to chase the Winter blues.  Honestly, haven't tried the rickey yet, I like this one so much.

My version:

- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 a pink grapefruit
- 6 oz. ginger beer.  Many that we get here are overly sweet and cloying.  Tried the Fever Tree Light.  Not too bad.  Could see making a ginger syrup and adding that to seltzer, as I like *strong.*
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, shredded.  A couple more, left whole for garnish.
- crushed ice to fill the glass approx. halfway.

I used an Ikea orange juice glass; a Conran's milk glass would do.  Or a standard highball  one if you've got that. Start with the ice, add the mint, then the grapefruit juice.  Fill the rest of the way with ginger beer.  Mix it all, muddling the basil some.  Garnish.  

Enjoy.









No comments: