Tuesday, May 25, 2004

One thing can be said about those of us on the functional level at my organisation: we watch each others' backs or 'cosign' for each other (as my cube neighbor calls it).

Today, one girlfriend sent me a part time job posting for Yiddish instructor at Brookline Community Ed. I was a little perplexed. Explained that my grasp of that language was similar to hers of Portuguese (tenuous). Bad Jew that I am, I ended up in CCD rather than Hebrew school where I'd not have learned formal Yiddish anyway.

Girlfriend stopped by and asked why anyone would want to learn a language that is dying anyway. Why indeed (well, Bashevis Singer comes to mind as only one of many who wrote in that language). Best response I could come up with was that it was a good means of sublimation for the Brookline matrons as well as a good excuse for the men of the house to get out for a drink and a snack with their 'girlfriends.'

No comments: