Saturday, May 31, 2008

The garden's still a bit sparse, but it is sort of coming along:



Daisies! I'd forgotten that I'd planted them front and center like that in the front bed. When they sprouted, I'd meant to transplant them elsewhere. I'm glad I didn't, as they actually work nicely where they are now.

***



Coral Bells in the shade garden out back.

***



I'm so proud of this rhodie! Several years back, it was crushed under the weight of several feet of snow after a freak Spring storm. Didn't know if it would survive. It never gets any bigger and always looks a bit sickly, but gosh darnit - every year it comes back with one spectacular set of blooms.

***



A few years back, I gave away something like 100 hostas to a neighbor. She came back with, among other things (which I'll photograph later), around 80 iris rhizomes. Planted a bunch in Raphaella's garden, in my back plots and in the front. If anyone would like a few, I'd be glad to give them up...

***



This bleeding heart is a monster! I divided it into three last year, but it came back like gangbusters. Have to divide it up again and find homes for the babies.

***

These are just the perennials; haven't decided yet what annuals to put in. I'm thinking of lots of sweet alyssum and marigolds, as that's what my Grandma Zee loved. Karen thinks I should put some purple salvia in, as well (would be good in the back part of the front bed, as I'm missing some stuff of intermediate height). Ultimately, price is going to be a factor, though, as I'm kind of short on funds this season.

No comments: