Sunday, November 13, 2005

Ambient noise pillows to help soldiers in war zones sleep?

It's an intriguing theory, and if it works - great. I wonder, though, how many soldiers might find this sort of therapy annoying to the point of being detrimental to their mental health?

As I live in a very densely-populated urban area, I've learned to fall asleep through just about any noise (even the occasional gunshot). I cannot, however, fall asleep if a radio is on. One friend of mine, who couldn't deal with the constant outside noise, got one of those Sharper Image ambient noise-makers and absolutely loved it. I found, though, that the fake waves-on-the-shore and birds-twitttering sounds put me on edge. Made me grind my teeth. Enraged me to the point where I had to either sleep in another room or resign myself to waking up in a combattive mood the next day.

No comments: