Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Time marches on


Still Life with apples. The alentejo wasn't too tannic, as Portuguese reds can be sometimes. The cut glass platter under the apples was yet another objet trouve: I rescued it from the trash at work.

as do the Histories. Last night we finished Book Five and started Book Six - the Ionians' revolt and their subsequent takedown by the Persians. Pablo's a bit impatient to get to the Battles of Marathon, Thermopylae and Salamis, but I'm just happy to be along for the ride.

Though it's technically still summer, the cool air and lengthening shadows gave us the taste for more autumnal fare: pork chops broiled with tarragon and thyme, whole wheat kluski, and sweet-and-sour cabbage (sweetened with apples and a teaspoon of brown sugar, sauteed in olive oil instead of bacon grease). This was rounded out with an apple for dessert and some "unpretentious" Portuguese red.

After dinner, we took a walk up to Davis Square and back. Scored a couple of promising-looking end tables that just need a little love (some primer and paint wouldn't hurt, either). Lunches were made, then the bedtime reading commenced. Pablo went home to the Book of Mormon, and I curled up with my new love.

Since I've started getting extra walks in and cutting down on sugar and fat, I've lost 20 lbs and my clothes are fitting much better. Another fifteen to go and I'll be back down to my fighting weight. Maybe there is hope for me yet.

No comments: