Thursday, February 10, 2005

In Desperate Need of Comfort and Food.


Have been dying for some sort of comfort food, in spite of or perhaps because of my having had to, in addition to many other things, break out the "fat" pants. Remembered this okay South Beach-wise recipe I adapted from Fannie Farmer...trust me, it's much, much better than ersatz. I think I actually prefer it over French Toast.

Sweet Omelet - serves one

2 eggs
dash of salt
1 1/2 T granulated sugar (I substituted a packet and a half of artificial sweetner)
1/2 t vanilla (I substituted 1/2 t rum flavoring)
1T butter (or Pam, I'm sure. I used Smart Balance.)
(sprinkle of cinnamon, or nutmeg or both)
2T confectioners' sugar (I substituted another shake of cinnamon, a dash of granulated maple sugar and a dot of Smart Balance spread. I think that a wee smear of some sort of jelly would be good, too)

Combine the eggs, salt, granulated sugar, and vanilla and beat only long enough to blend. Put a 7-inch nonstick skillet over the heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter and as soon as it foams, tilt the pan so the butter coats the bottom. Pour in the eggs. Shake the pan forward and backward, pulling the eggs with a fork and letting the uncooked part run out to the edges, until the whole thing is creamy. Fold it in half and roll it out onto a warm plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (or whatever topping you decide on).

No comments: