Wednesday, August 31, 2005

How much worse must things get before they get better?

What can I do to help?

What could I possibly do to to send a little bit of comfort to someone from my relatively dry little corner of the country?

Glenn Reynolds has a great roundup of aid-giving options. Hugh Hewitt is spearheading a blogger relief campaign and has some great ideas/links for donations (such as churches up here adopting churches in the areas hit.)

Sisu's generous heart goes out to the animals affected by this disaster. She's got a post focusing on the team being mobilized by the Animal Rescue League of Boston.

***

People are wonderfully resilient, both in mind and spirit. However, some of the mechanisms for coping with a catastrophic event will take their toll. Though my organisation does provide counselling for trauma survivors, we can't be of much help due to our location. I took a look at what some of the national associations we belonged to recommended for donations and chose the Salvation Army. Not only are they out there there providing physical aid to first responders and disaster survivors, they are able to give emotional support and comfort to those who need it.

***

Though I'm not able to give as much as I'd like, what I can give (the cost of a couple dinners, subscription renewal rates for some of my favorite journals), I do with the hope that it will provide a bit of comfort, a bit of support to someone who really needs it now. Hopefully you'll consider doing the same and being as generous as you can manage.

No comments: