Friday, January 02, 2004

Got a good start on Ness's floofy pink sweater. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lion Brand is discontinuing their Woolspun yarn. It is a fun, fluffy thick and thin yarn that knits up at about 2.5 stitches/inch on size 11 needles. The colors may be solid (as in the deep red sweater I'm wearing now) or heathered (like Ness's sweater, the sweater I made for Hal's cousin Ellen, or the hat/scarf ensemble I made for his sister in law). Since it's 100% wool, I was a bit worried about what would happen to it when put in the wash. I ended up felting the red sweater to shrink it down and it did a wonderful thing: developed a depthand sheen that wasn't there before. It also helped to create a better defined 'scribble lace' pattern for this particular sweater.
I love it!

Have decided that I want to make myself thigh highs for my winter walks to work. Was going to do funky striped ones to use up some more of my Wool Ease stash, but a friend with a better eye towards the aesthetics of thirty somethings suggested that stripey stuff might be a bit too young for me. Makes sense. Since I'm officially at 1/2 way between Lolita and Mrs Robinson, I can't really afford to look like I'm trying to deny my age...no more teeny bopper looks for me. Too bad, as this is the first time I've ever had a body that could possibly wear 'younger styles.'

Compromise: single color (maybe olive green?) with perhaps a rib/twisted rib/small cable/eyelet deal? Might not look too bad and heaven knows that I've got enough olive green in my stash.

No comments: