Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"It's a Hard World for Little Things."



Robert Mitchum gave a name and a face to that shadowy nasty thing who chased me nearly nightly in my dreams up until very recently.

I'm not little anymore, though. Have to keep remembering that.

***

So, I got home last night after an awful-awful day and checked my phone messages. What did I hear but a message from some credit/mortgage company stating that I was a contact for my ex-step father and that it was imperative that I call them.

This really threw me for a loop as, well, I thought (and hoped) that he was dead. Told my mother about this - she said prettymuch the same thing. Was much more sanguine about it than my Dad, who I know was weirded out, as he did the rare raising of the voice thing when I told him.

Anyway, since I was a minor when they divorced, there's really no way I could be held liable for any of his shenanigans. Makes me wonder, though, how they got my name and address. More than makes me wonder, as I've not had contact with this person since I was a child. It kind of freaks me out, actually.

I wouldn't put it past him to have forged my name on something. He ruined my mother financially years ago and made life very difficult for all of us for years after the divorce. Won't even get into how it was when he lived with us.

I don't like thinking about this.

No comments: