Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I found this article in the Weekly Standard a few weeks back to be particularly interesting, given my current life situation here and some conversations I've been having about my next "five year plan."

There's a lot to be said for Boston. After all, I based my life here for as long as I have. However, with the rising cost of living and only negligible salary increases, other places are starting to appeal to me. I don't want to have to share a small apartment for the rest of my life. Much as I like my current landlord, I would at some point like to own my own home. As houses in my neighborhood that only a few years ago went for perhaps $125,000-$150,000 are currently being turned into condominiums that start at around $250,000-$300,000 apiece, I don't even bother looking around here anymore.

I'd given some thought to moving a few years ago, when I went out to visit some friends who were working in Indianapolis. The people seemed nice like the folks where I come from originally, there seemed to be a nice nightlife, and from what I could see, a fair bit of redevelopment was going on there. One could do worse than transplant themselves there.

Another thought, always in the back of the mind, is returning home. Leaving after visits has been getting more and more difficult emotionally. The economy's never been great, but even on a smaller salary than I make here, I could afford a house fairly easily. Heck, I could probably afford to go back to school, even - something that I've been wanting to do for years, but haven't been able to afford here. Food for thought.

No comments: