Friday, March 04, 2005

I found this article after reading about a very lucky cat with one less life to spare.

Definitely a rock and a hard place situation. On one hand, if you've ever had a pet, you know how easy it is to become attached to them. If your friend disappears or dies on you, it's devastating. I could completely see how and why an organization would sprout up to help soldiers bring their newfound companions stateside. On the other hand, I also understand the military's position on this: you don't know what kind of diseases these animals may be carrying, and the safety of the soldiers is of utmost concern.

It makes me wonder how unreasonable the notion of some sort of animal shelter/adoption service for animals in Iraq itself would be. I don't know what the cultural take on domestic animals in a house is, but I don't think that this would be a completely far fetched idea. Especially if things continue to improve over there as they have been doing.

No comments: